Nutritional Therapy is the patient-centred application of nutrition science in the promotion of positive health and wellbeing. The therapy is ‘patient-centred’ because it focuses on the individual and their unique health pattern rather than being ‘disease-centred’ and only examining the symptoms of an illness. By looking at a patient’s health history, pattern of symptoms, diet and lifestyle habits we can identify nutritional imbalances and work to support and optimise good health. Functional diagnostic testing may also be recommended; functional tests can look closely at complex internal factors influencing our health and include intestinal microbe status (‘friendly’ and ‘unfriendly’ gut bacteria) digestive enzyme levels, food intolerances, environmental allergens, blood sugar balance, liver health and homocysteine levels.
Nutritional Therapy may benefit:
- Digestive issues – supporting the breakdown and digestion of food and healthy bowel function. Wind, bloating, indigestion and irregular bowel movements are all signs of digestive imbalance. And yes, your poo can reveal a great deal about the health of your insides!
- Energy levels – making sure you are eating the most beneficial foods at the right times can have a positive impact on your energy and wellbeing, especially if you have a busy demanding lifestyle or feel exhausted all the time.
- Mental wellbeing – low mood and mood imbalance have far reaching effects on life. Looking at foods and nutrients to support brain function and hormone balance is a step in the right direction…
- Skin health – our skin reflects how nourished (or under-nourished!) we are. Healthy fats, vitamins and minerals all have their place in supporting skin health.
- Weight balance – in combination with the right kinds of regular exercise a nutrition plan may help you feel lighter and more energetic!
Eating the most beneficial foods, in the right way and at the right time can bring powerful positive changes to your health. Your unique treatment plan will include the most suitable foods for you to be eating, those which are better to limit or avoid, meal plans and recipe ideas.
Clueless in the kitchen? Not sure if aubergine is a paint colour or vegetable? The treatment plans are designed at a level which is right for YOU so if you prefer to assemble a meal rather than cook or only have 20 minutes to prepare dinner we will discuss what you need and make the plan work for you.
Nutrition and herbal supplements can be incredibly useful for supporting the body through times of stress or imbalance. They are not a replacement for optimum nutrition and instead are used to assist the healing process. I recommend high quality supplements from reputable manufacturers with an evidence base to support their usage.
Exercise & lifestyle habits
As human beings we are designed to move around! Exercise has huge benefits for our digestion, joints, weight balance, nervous system and mental wellbeing. Relaxation, meditation and exercise all have their place in optimising health and are incorporated into treatment plans.
As a Nutritional Therapist I am not allowed to diagnose any health condition and my recommendtaions are not intended to replace medical advice. In the first instance, with any health condition, please consult your GP.